Earlier this week, two teachers from Galloway Ridge Intermediate came to bring my family and me dinner and to meet me for the first time. First of all, the fact that teachers are signing up to make us meals is incredible. They are angels! The two teachers that visited, Sarah and Rhonda were very nice. It was great to finally build connections with a few of my coworkers. It really has made me so excited to begin working there. Such an amazing comradery exists there and I believe God placed me there for a reason. Galloway Ridge Intermediate teachers, please know my family and I are so appreciative for all that you have done for us, including making us meals. Perry Peeps: I miss all of you and think of you often. My former coworkers- Thanks for all the support, as well! I miss you guys!
As I mentioned earlier, time is just flying by. August through September had many ups and downs with my health. Yes, I had many blessings that I mentioned in earlier posts, but it was tough. I was in and out of the hospital and not improving with my health. I was on strong antibiotics that had to be given through my PICC line. I had fluid under my skin (jello-head) and at times had to wear a feminine napkin on my head (ughh). I was on steroids that made me insanely and viciously hungry and have puffed me out a bit. On the other hand, October has been filled with improvements. My shunt is working properly to keep the fluid from building up under my skin. My incisions are healing and I am getting stronger. I am off the steroids and very slowly deflating. I don't have to take antibiotics through my PICC line; in fact, I don't have a PICC line! I have started treatments and the side effects are minimal! October is hopefully just the beginning of my progression to being 100% healthy. All along I have remained faithful that God is by my side and he will get me through this. Thank you, Lord!
Before talking about an inspirational person that has strengthened my faith that there is a God and a heaven, I will update you on my chemo and radiation treatments.
Update:
I have officially completed thirteen days of chemotherapy and nine days of radiation treatments. The side effects are minor, which I am so thankful for. The chemotherapy causes most of them. I am super sensitive to smells and I don't have a huge appetite. It's a big change from my raging appetite! One night, my mom made pizza and Andrew likes bacon on his pizza. I could not stand the smell! It made me feel sick. Another smell that is bothering me right now is coffee, which I usually love. During my radiation, I seem to smell straw or something. The technician said sometimes people think they smell something, because the radiation is triggering something in the brain. Another side effect I am having is a little more tired, but it is nothing drastic. Also, I have an upset stomach once in awhile. On Wednesday I received my third new mask. It is tighter, more uncomfortable, and it has a mouth guard. This mask will allow my head to align with the CT scans and the mouth guard ensures I will position myself in the mask the same way. Thank you to those of you who have been asking how treatments are going!!! Also, thanks to my Aunt Christie, who drove from Chicago to visit my family and me this weekend. It was so great to spend some time with her and my grandparents. She also bought me a fitbit wristband and some other goodies. The fitbit counts how many steps you walk and calories you burn etc. It is pretty neat! I love you, Christie!
Yesterday, my parents and I were watching CBS News and it talked about Ben Breedlove, an 18 year old who died of a cardiac arrest, due to a serious heart condition. Throughout his life he had near death experiences. A few times he talks about his experiences in heaven and a feeling of overwhelming peace. You should definitely watch the CBS clip and then Ben's youtube videos he created a few days before he died. It is pretty inspiring and just confirms there is a better place after we die. I believe God had me watch this to strengthen my faith and trust in him! What a strong and inspiring young man! I had to watch it a few times, because it was so amazing! Here are the links!
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57609174/ben-breedloves-video-message-of-an-afterlife/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmlTHfVaU9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LSEXsvRAI
God Bless everyone and thanks for your continued prayers!!!
With all my trust in the Lord,
Erica Jacobs
Love you, Erica! I miss seeing you and your mom so much. Hope to be able to see you soon! Sending you all my prayers and best thoughts. Hang in there, sweetie!
ReplyDeleteErica,
ReplyDeleteHey! I was good friends with Tarah at OU and in the 110 with her. I remember Tarah taking about you in the most endearing way. I could tell you two were (and are) so close! Tarah shared your blog on Facebook and I have been reading. I am praying for you and am so glad you are drawing close to God and trusting in Him. :) Hang in there and know you are being prayed for in Seattle!!
Hi, Erica! I just wanted to touch base with you. Here at Woodville UMC we lift you up in prayer each Sunday, and I keep you in my own prayers as well--for healing, for strength, and for continued trust and faith that God will use this difficult time in your life for good. Blessings on you today. ~~ Pastor Carol
ReplyDelete