Hail and blessed be the hour and moment
in which the Son of God was born of the
most pure Virgin Mary, at midnight, in Bethlehem,
in piercing cold. In that hour, vouchsafe, O my God!
to hear my prayer and grant my desires, through
the merits of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of His blessed
Mother. Amen.
Christmas shopping has been a little difficult with the no driving rule. I'm hoping i'll get the go ahead the next time I go to the doctor. Sorry to everyone if my gifts are a little limited! Online shopping is the way to go! Andrew came up with the idea to buy my entire family, including me, tickets to the Trans- Siberian Orchestra! Kudos to my fiancé! I decided to chip in a little bit... so, technically it's from both of us! Haha... It's this weekend and we are all so excited! Tarah and Garrett have been to the concert before and said it was really neat!
One of the highlights since the last time writing has been my last day of radiation on November 27th! My dad drove down to Columbus and stayed the night with us. In the morning Andrew went to work and my dad, mom, and I got ready for radiation. Andrew met up with us at the James Center eventually. We got there and after waiting for a few minutes, I saw these people walk in with balloons... it was my sister and brother-in-law!!! I was not expecting them to drive all the way from Kent to Columbus. I was so blessed to have my parents, Andrew, Tarah, and Garrett (my entourage) celebrate my last day of radiation. After my last treatment, it's tradition for the patient to ring a bell and everyone claps. I took pictures with my awesome therapists and of course the gang! It was a pretty wonderful moment that i'll never forget. After the bell ringing, we had to meet with my Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Guiou. We all squeezed into the tiny room and while we waited for him to come in, I opened some presents from Tarah, Garrett, and Garrett's parents. I loved the hats and candy they gave me, but the most meaningful gift was from Tarah and Garrett. They donated $500 in my name to the GBM Research Fund. I was amazed and honored that they would do that in my name! I love you guys!!! It's amazing how God has his ways of speaking to people. While I was in the waiting room, I met this really nice lady, who was accompanying a family member for radiation. I talked to her a little and found out she's a Kindergarten teacher. After I returned from my treatment, this lady had tears in her eyes and told me my dad told her my story. She said that i've really touched her heart and she gave me a beautiful necklace from around her neck that she made herself. It was such an amazing moment and highlights that there are wonderful people out in the world! Before I left, I gave her my blog name. I don't know her name, but if she is reading this... please message me, so I can thank you and see how your family member is doing with treatments! After we left, we went to one of our favorite restaurants, Olive Garden! After our delicious dinner, we all drove back up to my parents' home. We had two wonderful Thanksgivings and played lots of card games. I think i'm addicted to Euchre and No Peek! I didn't want that weekend to ever end!
I treasure every moment I spend with my family. We've never been closer and I thank God for that. While to many people, this situation would be horrific (yes, there were times), I feel like it has enriched my life so much. I've never had a better relationship with God, Andrew, and my family. I've learned that at any moment any person's life can change. Whether it is an illness, death, or any other tough circumstance. Since no one knows when their time is up on Earth, we have to be ready for God and spend our lives strengthening our relationship with him. Unfortunately, sometimes tough situations are just what you need to snap out of it. I've awaken and realized I need to spend my entire life living through God. I'm FAR off from being perfect, but before, I wasn't even trying; rather, I took him for granted. Through God we can overcome anything, even an illness! :)
Now that radiation is done and I have a month off of chemo, I'm trying to get stronger. I can't believe how much my body has fluctuated since August. I've been trying to work out every day for about 40 - 45 minutes, which is a huge leap. I am still weak in my legs and have a hard time getting up if i'm sitting on the floor. Also, I still feel different parts of me are swollen, like my fingers and knees. I can't wait to wear my engagement ring again! I'm just really trying to work hard for my wedding in June and to get back to work. There's a huge part of me that wants to go back, but I know i'm not ready... mentally and physically. Teaching is what I love to do, but it's a lot of work! When i'm back, I want to be 100% ready. I want to be ready for walking around all day, teaching, discipline, and the after hours of grading and planning! My loved ones tell me that when i'm ready, i'll know and that I should take this time to heal. I'm listening to them and trying to tell myself that it's ok to take this time for me. I know I say this in a lot of my posts, but i'm just so grateful for the Galloway Ridge principal and teachers. I have a feeling i'm going to love working there!
Just a few shout outs... I'd like to thank Cassie Davenport, Emily Pendleton, Sarah Lutz, Katie Larson, Jackie Brough, and Ashley DeVito for visiting me. It was great talking with you all! All the support has been tremendous!
Here is a picture of my handsome future husband before his company Christmas dinner. I didn't go this year, so he sent me a picture! He's so adorable! I'm so lucky, because he adores me inside and out. Even when I don't look like myself right now, he still loves me!!! God put Andrew in my life for a reason! He's quite a gem. :) A little over 6 months until we will be married! We've decided we are going on a cruise to the Bahamas! I've been there before and just loved it SO much. We have so much to look forward to!
I'll try to write another blog post soon! Happy Holidays to everyone!!!
With all my trust in the Lord,
Erica Jacobs
Just a few shout outs... I'd like to thank Cassie Davenport, Emily Pendleton, Sarah Lutz, Katie Larson, Jackie Brough, and Ashley DeVito for visiting me. It was great talking with you all! All the support has been tremendous!
Here is a picture of my handsome future husband before his company Christmas dinner. I didn't go this year, so he sent me a picture! He's so adorable! I'm so lucky, because he adores me inside and out. Even when I don't look like myself right now, he still loves me!!! God put Andrew in my life for a reason! He's quite a gem. :) A little over 6 months until we will be married! We've decided we are going on a cruise to the Bahamas! I've been there before and just loved it SO much. We have so much to look forward to!
I'll try to write another blog post soon! Happy Holidays to everyone!!!
With all my trust in the Lord,
Erica Jacobs
Hi Erica, So glad to read your latest update. Radiation done!! Good for you. You and your family all look wonderful in the the family photo. Thanks for sharing and happy holidays to all of you. Donna
ReplyDeleteHi Donna! We received your Christmas cards! They were so nice! We loved the pictures. Thank you for always being so supportive and kind! Happy Holidays to you all, as well!!! Erica
ReplyDeleteOh Erica this is such great news! It is so good to hear about your progress and I'm so proud of you! I hope you don't have much more chemo to do! I truly give you props for the strength you are trying to build through this whole experience! Keep it up and take care!
ReplyDelete-Candi
Thanks Candi! That means a lot coming from a fellow survivor! Right back at ya! You're a strong woman! I pray for you often!
ReplyDelete